|How To Apply >|
BIOINFORMATICS Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program (BIF) INFORMATION
College of Applied Arts and Technology
Bioinformatics is the application of computer technology to the management of biological information, and is used to address biological problems. Bioinformatics is essential in examining how raw sequence data from genome sequencing projects can be used to generate information about gene function, protein structure, molecular evolution, drug targets, and disease mechanisms. This emerging field requires individuals with a multi-disciplinary background in biology and computer science.
The Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program in Bioinformatics at Seneca College started September 2001. This program is a limited enrolment program.
If you have a degree or
diploma in Biotechnology, this program will provide you with the
computer skills necessary to succeed in this area. There will be a
focus on computer operating systems, programming, and data analysis.
To be successful in this program, students should have:
- An interest in learning computer operating systems and programming (although you do not have to have a computer programming background, comfort and familiarity with computers will be an asset). There will be a lot of time spent at the computer programming; if programming doesn't interest you, then this program may not be for you.
- A home computer (with Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 installed) and an Internet service provider (ISP) to access Seneca computer facilities from home. Seneca does provide internet access free of charge to students, but if you wish to have better than dial-up access (57.6 kbps), you may wish to go with another ISP.
- Strong interpersonal skills, analytical thinking, and enthusiasm
HOW TO APPLY
Students interested in
this program should get an Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program
application form at any Seneca College campus or from OCAS, Ontario College Application Services.
You can access our program using the "Program Locator" button on OCAS
online, and use the keyword "bioinformatics".
College code = SENE
The application and OCAS application fee should be sent to OCAS in Guelph, Ontario.
Our next intake of students will be in September 2010.
This is a deregulated post-diploma program. The tuition fees, approved by the Seneca Board of Governors, have been set at $5,000.00 per academic year (2 semesters). Further fee details may be obtained at the Office of The Registrar; Deregulated Full-Time Post-Diploma Programs.
FINANCIAL AID AND AWARDS
Information concerning financial aid and scholarships for Bioinformatics students is available at http://www.senecac.on.ca/registrar/financialaid/
Successful entrance into this program will involve a selection process based on:
- Past academic experience (official transcripts required)
- Results of an English proficiency and logic test
- Applicant profile
- Personal interview (interviews may be conducted if the program becomes oversubscribed)
Information specifically geared to international applicants to Seneca College is available at http://www.senecac.on.ca/fulltime/stuserv/intnainfo.html
This program will be offered at Seneca@York, Seneca College's state-of-the-art completely wired campus. Expertise will be provided through faculty in the School of Biological Sciences and Applied Chemistry, the School of Computer Studies, and through contract faculty who work in the area of Bioinformatics.
Our address is:
For more information, please contact email@example.com
FINANCIAL AID AND AWARDS